Monday, February 7, 2011

Review: An Unwanted Hunger by Ciana Stone

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Passion this strong is dangerous. They both know it. Mortal enemies, their respective factions have been at war since the dawn of man. Resa is a Dhampir, bred and trained to hunt Vampyres. Constantine is a prince among the Vampyre, the oldest and most lethal.

Nothing good can come of this hunger, this need that drives them relentlessly toward one another. Neither reason nor devotion to duty can stay their need. There is but one way to quench the thirst that drives them. Once sated, they can return to the battle and see which one, if either, is left standing.

But one drink from the cup of desire serves only to magnify the hunger. One act of lust that could alter them forever, changing the course of destiny.
My Thoughts: I read this book back-to-back with another Ciana Stone book, All In Time, and I noticed that several of the sex scenes were nearly identical.  I could have handwaved it and just moved on but when I say nearly identical, I mean just that.  The characters used similar phrasing when they were in the zone, the positioning of the characters (Ha! That sounds funnier when I read it then it did in my head) while doing the deed... it was really off-putting.  I'm guessing that if I hadn't done the back to back reading I wouldn't have noticed or not realized exactly how alike the two scenes were but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it.

It's really ruined this book for me.

Up until the duplicate sex scene, the book was already teetering on the edge in my opinion.  I knew going into this that it wasn't a typical vampire story and it's not.  Constantine and his people aren't vampires exactly, they're aliens.  I'm cool with that part, actually, because I can see how an alien race with the physical and psychic gifts they had could be easily mistaken for vampires.  What got me was that there was almost too much information introduced about the alien world and culture.  It became overwhelming and hard to follow. Half the time I was unsure who was aligned with who and where they fit into the grand scheme of things.

All in all, what could have been a fun, interesting, new take on the traditional vampire tale fell apart somewhere in the middle and never found its footing again.  And I still can't get over the duplicate sex.  It's like finding out that your best friend stole your patented sex move and is wowing all the guys with it.  Very off-putting.

More books by Ciana Stone

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I glad I got this one for free. I think I will put it back for a while.

    ReplyDelete