Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: Hunter's Moon (Vampires Realm) by Felicity Heaton

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Having witnessed vampires slaughtering his werewolf pack during their escape from the horror of the compound where they had been held captive, Nicolae's hatred of the species burns deep in his veins. A century has passed since that night and the months in which he traveled to the Canadian wilderness to escape it, but the nightmarish visions and his failure as an alpha still haunt him, forcing him to live alone and keep his distance from other werewolves.

When a night hunt with the local timber wolf pack leads to a run-in with unfamiliar hunters, Nicolae tracks the scent of blood permeating the forest to an injured woman and races to save her, but has he made a terrible mistake in doing so? When she attacks him, revealing her true nature, he can't believe his eyes or the fact that he can't bring himself to kill her. She's beautiful, and a vampire.

Tatyana is on a mission. Far from home and bearing a heart filled with grief, she's intent on killing the hunters she's tracking, but her plan didn't include being shot with poisoned arrows. When she comes to in the presence of a glowering handsome male werewolf, she isn't sure what to expect. His dark demeanor and cold tone warn her that he isn't like the subservient werewolves she's used to, and that she might not be out of danger yet, but she doesn't let it discourage her. Working with him to discover why the hunters have come to Canada, she attempts to shatter his antiquated opinion of vampires, but the closer she gets to him, the harder it becomes to battle the forbidden hunger he stirs in her.

Will Nicolae be able to overcome the darkness in his heart and his memories, and embrace his desire for a vampire? Can Tatyana face her fear about the Law Keepers and risk her heart and her life for the sake of forbidden love? When they discover what the hunters are after, will they be able to stop them before it's too late?
My Thoughts: I have insane cover lust for this book.  I mean, I already have a thing for werewolves so when you throw in a strong, muscled back and give me a reason to stare at it ... bliss.  I have to admit that the only drawback to my Kindle is that I don't get to stare at these gorgeous covers like I can with a physical book.  I'll get over it.  Or I'll start stalking authors until they give me cover flats just to get rid of me.  Oh, look!  Now I have a plan.

Enough about my stalking habits, let's get down to the review.  Nicolae was absolutely swoon-worthy.  The poor guy has been through hell and he's come out of it stronger.  His innate sense of fair-play won't allow him to walk away from someone in need.  He's content to stand on the fringes of the groups around him despite the fact that he has the power of an Alpha.  He's just... sexy-hot.  I might have been swayed by the cover, but I'm going to stand by what I wrote.  Nicolae is hot, sexy, damaged and infinitely interesting.

Tatyana was harder for me to get a handle on.  Her bloodline is more progressive than some of the others, choosing to try and change with the times rather than cling doggedly to the old ways.  She feels an attraction to Nicolae that she can't wrap her head around.  Above everything, though, she's desperately trying to prove to her bloodline and those around her that she's not weak.

I like that Nicolae has been living for so long on the edges of society that he really has no clue what's going on in the supernatural world.  He's distanced himself, with good reason, and the world has moved on without him.  Tatyana has been in the thick of things all along.  She's working to stop the hunters from wiping out her people.  Yet, it's Nicolae who knows of old medicine that can stop the poison the hunters use.  I like the idea that the old things are still useful in the world, even as things are moving forward and becoming more complex.

I guess I'm trying to say that on top of the sexy cover (allow me to pause for a good stare now, thankyouverymuch), Nicolae and Tatyana's story worked for me.  They're hot together, they both have issues they have to work around and there's just something about the forbidden romance between a vampire and a werewolf that makes me smile.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series:
Reunion
Seventh Circle
Winter's Kiss

More books by Felicity Heaton

No comments:

Post a Comment