Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson #1) by Molly Harper

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed twenty-five dollars in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.

Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?
My Thoughts:  I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book.  Part of me liked the uncomplicated, straightforward approach that Jane was forced to take when she was made a vampire.  Then there's another part of me that thought that everything was too streamlined and wanted some twisty angst and ... stuff.  Maybe I should have started this review by mentioning that humorous paranormal romances always walk a fine line with me.  Most of the time I think they try a little too hard to be cute and it ends up feeling forced which takes me out the book and makes my face sad.  It's like when I try to read Chick Lit books.  I just don't get them.  I get that other people like them and think they're great, but I don't see it.  Or maybe it's like watching romantic comedies with my friends.  I enjoy parts of them and I enjoy spending time with my friends but I'd rather stab myself in the arm with a fork than... actually, I don't think I'd ever voluntarily stab myself anywhere with a fork so that's turning into a really bad analogy.

Anyway.  I'm not sure how I feel about this book.  It wasn't badly written.  The characters were engaging.  But it wasn't my usual fare.  Now the reason I usually read dark, twisty, angsty, hot, bondage-y books is because I like them.  Why mess with a good thing? I ask.  Why?

Once again, I've totally derailed my train of thought and jumped the track.

The bottom line is that while this book wasn't for me, it wasn't a bad book at all.  I just happen to like my books a little less tongue in cheek.  Or tongue on fang.  Or fang in cheek.  Whatever.  I like my books dark.  And this book didn't fit the bill.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try.

More books by Molly Harper

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book. It was a short and quick read, but some characters did annoy me a bit which happened through the other two books too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that I don't want to read this series because I don't like the chicks fangs on the cover? That's the only reason I haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete