Friday, April 8, 2011

Review: Chill Factor (Weather Warden #3) by Rachel Caine

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin has protected the human race from monster storms, been killed, reborn as a Djinn, and then restored to her original form. Now she's throwing the dice to stop an infinitely powerful, deeply disturbed kid-who is holed up in a Vegas hotel-from bringing on a new ice age.
My Thoughts: I've been sitting on this review for the past day because even though I'm really enjoying the series while I'm reading it I have a hard time talking myself into picking the next book up. The weird thing is that I can't pinpoint why.  I like the main characters.  I like the world that Rachel Caine has created.  I like the situations that Joanne ends up getting herself into.  I like the secondary characters.  What's my hangup?

I think part of it is that this entire series is a little like cotton candy.  It's fun.  It's a diversion from real life but it's not mind blowing.  By that same token, it's not OMG!SO DEEEEEEP! that I want to crawl into a dark hole and whimper until the shakes stop.  I guess it's a good thing that I don't need therapy after reading these books.  I mean, I have way too many other series that turn me into a crazed stalker.  Do I really need another?

As for this book, I liked it.  Joanne's return to humanhood (humandom, mortal-life-where-she's-not-a-Djinn?) at the end of book 2 is addressed but she hasn't really dealt with it yet.  She's so focused on stopping Kevin and keeping fatalities down that she hasn't had time to process that she's no longer plugged into the other world.  When she finally does, I think it's going to be painful and hard.  I'm looking forward to that.

I like where the overall arc is going.  Things are so screwy in the upper echelons of the Wardens that things have to change.  How will we get to that point?  I have no idea.  But I'm ready to find out.  In a few days.  Provided I don't talk myself out of it.

Other reviews in this series:
Book 1: Ill Wind
Book 2: Heat Stroke

More books by Rachel Caine

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment