Friday, October 21, 2011

Review: Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane #1) by Jaye Wells

Synopsis (Goodreads):
In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now.

This time, it's personal.
My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. It was classic urban fantasy with some fun and interesting world building. My only issue (and it's a minor one) is that I kept stumbling over the word "mancy".  Seriously, ever time I came across it I would come to a full stop and have to sound the damn thing out in my head.  This is no reflection on the writing or storytelling, I'm just lame like that.  *shakes head and attempts to drill in into my head that it's man-cy.  Man.cy. Man...cy.  I will get it.  Eventually.*  *As a random aside, this is the second review I've posted recently that had issues with a word.* *Yeah, yeah. It's me, not them. No, really.  It's me.  I'm totally aware of that.  Although writing that out makes me feel like I'm trying to break up with someone... "No, baby.  It's me.  Not you.  I just need to find myself.  It's me.  It's me."*

Umm, yeah.  All those asides made me lose my train of thought.  Dang it.

So.  Sabina.  I liked her, but sometimes I felt like she was being willfully blind about the things that were going on around her.  I get why she didn't want to face some things but at the same time I wanted to give her a good shake and tell her to OPEN HER EYES!  *deep breath*  I always like it when books make me all crazy.  It can be aggravating, but it's a good thing.

All in all, this was a fun book with great world building, interesting characters and a steamy kiss or two.  I love the interactions between Sabina and her new found friends and how their presence made her grow as a character.

More books by Jaye Wells

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

  1. Usually it's names that I have issues with. I just recently finished Hounded by Kevin Hearne, and it's full of Celtic gods who's names are IMPOSSIBLE. He even includes a pronunciation guide, which is nice, but I still can't deal. Anyway, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TheReadingPenguin: I know what you mean. It tickled me pink that every single time the word came up I stumbled over it. I mean, really? The word isn't that tough. It just wasn't clicking in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda: Don't be such a fancy mancy. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a UF reader & I LOVE this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa: Thank you! I really enjoyed it. The world building was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete