Monday, December 26, 2011

Review: Demon's Slave by Danielle D. Smith

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Rose, Nephil daughter of a Warrior of Heaven, has betrayed her celestial heritage by falling for the guy from the wrong side of the tracks: Skriker, tattooed half-demon hunter, and the most irresistible chunk of hard meat that she has ever taken to her bed.

Rose knows that there is no love in all of Creation more forbidden than that between an angel and a demon, and that knowledge has left her terribly fragmented, despite her passionate love for her Halfling bad boy.

As Skriker's "Dirty 30" approaches, she will offer him the ultimate birthday gift: she will be his devoted sexual slave for three days and three nights, laying aside her angelic pride to fully commit to his pleasure (and hers) with every part of her being...and neither Heaven nor Hell will have any power to stop it.
My Thoughts: I'm torn on how I feel about this one.  While the sex was creative and nicely dirty for the most part, I'm not a huge fan of people using BDSM as an excuse to treat the people they profess to love in a humiliating manner.  This story walked that line for me.  I enjoy books with D/s elements and I usually have no problem with bondage or other aspects of BDSM but this book bothered me a bit.  I can't even put my finger on what it is or why I feel this way.

I'm curious if the author is planning on a follow-up book to this one since there were several rather large (at least for me) plot elements that were brought up and never resolved.

Overall, while the sex was definitely naughty, I felt like I was missing something.  I wasn't aware that there was a previous story prior to reading this one, so that might be part of my problem.  I did think the language used sometimes bordered on stilted.  I can understand that an author needs to shake up their word usage but the word "gristle" does not make me think of manly man-parts.  It makes me think of the part of the meat that I leave on the side of my plate.  Frankly, that's not sexy.

Even after writing this up, I'm still not sure how I feel.

More books by Danielle D. Smith

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Your candid review gives some good food-for-thought. I knew I was taking a risk writing a paranormal BDSM book, and reviews like this allow us authors to see where we're hitting the mark, and where we need to step it up. Many thanks! :-)

    Dani Smith

    ReplyDelete