Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Shadow of Doubt by Hailey Edwards [Review]

Shadow of Doubt by Hailey Edwards
Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta #1) by Hailey Edwards
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: August 8, 2019

The Potentate of Atlanta
1. Shadow of Doubt - Paperback | Kindle
2. Pack of Lies
3. Change of Heart
5. Moment of Truth
6. Badge of Honor

Hailey Edwards
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Hadley Whitaker is a liar, a killer, and a chocoholic, but she’s getting better about the first two. Or maybe she’s just getting better at them.

Some days it’s hard for her to tell fact from fiction, but only one truth matters. Goddess willing, she’s going to be the next Potentate of Atlanta. Even if it means playing nice with Midas Kinase, a shifter whose mysterious past might just be grimmer than her own.

When a bloodthirsty rogue begins hunting the city’s paranormals, Hadley ropes Midas into letting her work the case. But that rope starts to feel more like a noose as they come closer to discovering not only the rogue’s identity, but each other’s darkest secrets.
Thoughts on Shadow of Doubt: No lie, I did NOT think I'd like Hadley nearly as much as I did. I mean, I assumed I'd eventually like her, but I didn't expect to come out of the gate rooting for the lady. Mostly because she did some extremely questionable things that had wide reaching effects and she ended up hurting a certain someone badly with her actions. Which I didn't like.

BUT...I liked her. She's genuinely remorseful about what she did and the fallout it caused. We're also getting into her head which gives us glimpses as to why she went to the extremes she went to.

Those glimpses are making me very eager to see her reach a point where she and Midas can talk openly. Because, GUESS WHAT? Midas is a bit of a mess, too. After becoming his mother's second when his sister broke off to start her own pack, Midas is...well, he's not too comfortable in his skin right now. Why? We don't yet know, but it looks like it's going to be a doozy when we do find out and I'm just ITCHING for Hadley and Midas to hit that point in their weird relationship.

Will there be road blocks? OF COURSE. A woman who has to lie about pretty much everything and a man who holds his cards VERY close to the vest. Things are bound to get sticky. And messy, if the end up working on any more cases like this one.

Plus, there's a certain amplification issue that needs to be resolved. I don't expect things will be easy in any way, shape, or form, but I'm 100% here for the ride. Because WOW. This was a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment