Thursday, July 27, 2023

Haunted by Stacy Gail [Review]

Haunted (Year of the Scorpio #3) by Stacy Gail
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: July 16, 2023

Scorpio
1. Year of the Scorpio: Part 1
2. Year of the Scorpio: Part 2
3. Haunted - Kindle

Related Series
(Find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
House of Payne
1. House of Payne: Payne

Men of PSI
1. Luke: The Profiler

Stacy Gail
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Echoes of the past…

Anya
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all. My mom—a single parent who’d spent her life building a business from the ground up—died suddenly, leaving me and my older brother to tie up her loose ends. There hadn’t been a will, but there had been a lot of money left in the family account. Then both the money and my brother vanished, and I was left with nothing except rage.

Then I met Vasili Medvedev. My brutal, magnificent hero who deals out death as easily as other people breathe. I know I should fear him, but all I can feel is crazy-hot desire.

…haunt the present.

Vas
I found Anya seconds from death in a hellhole she never should have known existed. The reason she was there? Her dick of a brother robbed her blind, and now she wants revenge. I could track him down and even help bury the body, if that’s what she wants. But will it help exorcise my own personal demons haunting me? Probably not. Helping her will only feed my need for her, but a monster like me doesn’t deserve an innocent like Anya.

Then again, monsters don’t care about following the rules.
Thoughts on Haunted: MAN, I liked being back in Scorpio's world (even if it was only Scorpio-adjacent) and, MAN, did I feel for Vas and all the guilt he's carrying over his brother's death. The guy is a wreck and he deserved some closure and I'm very glad he had someone like Anya give her impassioned, concussed defense of Vas to Vas's father. The lady has spunk and grit even when her brains are a little scrambled and I respect that.

So. Vas saves Anya from certain death (among other things) and Anya isn't afraid to label him a hero because of it. This...doesn't quite sit right with Vas since he DOES NOT see himself as a hero. But Anya is determined and vocal about being right and doesn't back down even after she's not a little loopy from her concussion. Her continued, impassioned defense of him as someone worthy of being called a hero throws Vas for a loop. In fact, it kind of makes him snarly and a little more surly.

Let's just say it takes an act of forgiveness (somewhat unrelated to Vas) for Vas to start to accept that maybe he isn't as terrible as he believes he is. Once he accepts that part, finding a sort of closure over his (perceived) part in his brother's death falls into place.

Which isn't to say it's an easy road. Vas is stubborn and stoic, but Anya is even more stubborn. She's also intuitive enough to understand what Vas needs and give it to him.

Some familiar faces, a really awful brother, a family with a few issues, a lady who is determined to see the good in the man who saved her, and a man on the edge who found his special someone when he needed it most. LOOOOOOVE this series. *thumbs up*

No comments:

Post a Comment