Monday, October 25, 2010

Review: Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate

Synopsis (via Goodreads):
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
My Thoughts: *takes a deep breath*  You know, I have a fair sized list of things that do it for me in books.  I like amnesiac vampires, broken cities, epic battles, grownup fairy tales, sexy menages,  freedom fighters battling to take their world back from zombies, werewolves, humans fighting to take their world back from vampires, broken societies, broken characters, flawed men, flawed women and a whole bunch of other things that I can't even think of right now.  I also have a kink for love that transcends the boundaries of mortality.  Love that's so epic that one lifetime can't contain it.  Love that echoes through the ages and makes the world ring with emotion.

Luce and Daniel's story grabbed me and wrung me out.  To love someone endlessly and have them always out of reach.  To have to watch as they're ripped away from you again and again.  How could you stand there and accept what's coming, knowing that you can't keep it?  How do you keep from losing your mind?  From losing the belief that this time might be different?

Lauren Kate took this epic, gorgeously tragic story and made it very hard for me to put this book down.  I wanted to see if Luce and Daniel would find a way to be together.  I wanted to know who the other player on the field were.  I wanted answers.  And I did get some, but there are so many more questions that haven't been answered that my brain is scrambling itself.

So, in case you didn't realize it, I loved this book.  The cover is gorgeous.  The writing captures you and drags you into its swampy depths.  The characters are heartbreaking.

Torment is sitting here waiting for me to start it.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Fallen
1. Fallen
2. Torment
3. Passion

More books by Lauren Kate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment