Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld #0.5) by Gena Showalter

Synopsis (Goodreads):

He is the guardian of hell, more monster than man.

She is the goddess of oppression, more angel than woman.

Together they will enter the flames to battle a horde of demon lords -- and discover a passion unlike any other...

Discover the origin of the dimOuniak and the demon spirits trapped within.
My Thoughts: This was my virgin trek into the Lords of the Underworld series and I'm not sure if I should have started with the prequel.  Which doesn't make sense in some ways but I keep thinking that I would have ended up getting more out of it if I had a couple of the books under my belt.  Seriously, does that make sense to anyone?  I think if I had read even just book 1 before reading this one, I would have had a working knowledge base (small as it might be) and Geryon and Kadence's story would have had more emotional impact.

Which isn't to say this is a bad story.  It's not.  It's interesting and it has a cool Beauty and the Beast vibe.  I like that.  I just kept wondering when the Lords of the Underworld were going to pop up and show me their butterflies.  Wow.  That sounds a lot dirtier when I read it than it did in my head.

I liked the story, don't get me wrong.  I liked it enough to dive straight into book 1 after finishing this one.  I just wish I had held off on this so I could have savored the relationship without going over the mythology to see what I was missing.

Still, I liked it.  Onto book 1!

More books by Gena Showalter

Reading challenges: The E-book Challenge, The Paranormal Romance Challenge, The Morbid Romantica Challenge

2 comments:

  1. The novellas in this series can be skipped. I read them all. I am severely obsessive about reading everything to do with a series once I am hooked on a series. This is one of those series however where the novellas can be skipped and you wont miss noting too important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa: I had a feeling that might be the case. But, like you, I get all obsessive about reading all the books and short stories and WHATEVER ELSE I CAN GET MY HANDS ON.

    ReplyDelete