Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld #0.5) by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld #0.5) by Gena Showalter
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 2, 2011

Lords of the Underworld
0.5. The Darkest Fire - Kindle
1. The Darkest Night
2. The Darkest Kiss
3. The Darkest Pleasure
3.5. The Darkest Prison
4. The Darkest Whisper
4.5. The Darkest Angel
5. The Darkest Passion
6. The Darkest Lie
7. The Darkest Secret
8. The Darkest Surrender
9. The Darkest Seduction
10. The Darkest Craving
11. The Darkest Touch
12. The Darkest Torment
13. The Darkest Promise
14. The Darkest Warrior
14.5. The Darkest Captive
14.6. The Darkest Assassin
15. The Darkest King
15.5. The Darkest Destiny

Related Series:
(find all the reviews for the series under the first review)
Angels of the Dark
1. Wicked Nights

Rise of the Warlords
1. The Warlord

Gena Showalter
Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
He is the guardian of hell, more monster than man.

She is the goddess of oppression, more angel than woman.

Together they will enter the flames to battle a horde of demon lords -- and discover a passion unlike any other...

Discover the origin of the dimOuniak and the demon spirits trapped within.
Thoughts on The Darkest Fire: This was my virgin trek into the Lords of the Underworld series and I'm not sure if I should have started with the prequel.  Which doesn't make sense in some ways but I keep thinking that I would have ended up getting more out of it if I had a couple of the books under my belt. Seriously, does that make sense to anyone? I think if I had read even just book 1 before reading this one, I would have had a working knowledge base (small as it might be) and Geryon and Kadence's story would have had more emotional impact.

Which isn't to say this is a bad story. It's not. It's interesting and it has a cool Beauty and the Beast vibe. I like that. I just kept wondering when the Lords of the Underworld were going to pop up and show me their butterflies. Wow. That sounds a lot dirtier when I read it than it did in my head.

I liked the story, don't get me wrong. I liked it enough to dive straight into book 1 after finishing this one. I just wish I had held off on this so I could have savored the relationship without going over the mythology to see what I was missing.

Still, I liked it.  Onto book 1!

2 comments:

  1. The novellas in this series can be skipped. I read them all. I am severely obsessive about reading everything to do with a series once I am hooked on a series. This is one of those series however where the novellas can be skipped and you wont miss noting too important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa: I had a feeling that might be the case. But, like you, I get all obsessive about reading all the books and short stories and WHATEVER ELSE I CAN GET MY HANDS ON.

    ReplyDelete