Saturday, September 3, 2011

Review: The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1) by Gena Showalter
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: September 3, 2011

Lords of the Underworld
0.5. The Darkest Fire
1. The Darkest Night - Paperback | Kindle
2. The Darkest Kiss
3. The Darkest Pleasure
3.5. The Darkest Prison
4. The Darkest Whisper
4.5. The Darkest Angel
5. The Darkest Passion
6. The Darkest Lie
7. The Darkest Secret
8. The Darkest Surrender
9. The Darkest Seduction
10. The Darkest Craving
11. The Darkest Touch
12. The Darkest Torment
13. The Darkest Promise
14. The Darkest Warrior
14.5. The Darkest Captive
14.6. The Darkest Assassin
15. The Darkest King
15.5. The Darkest Destiny

Related Series:
(find all the reviews for the series under the first review)
Angels of the Dark
1. Wicked Nights

Rise of the Warlords
1. The Warlord

Gena Showalter
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
All her life, Ashlyn Darrow has been tormented by voices from the past. To end the nightmare, she has come to Budapest seeking help from men rumored to have supernatural abilities, not knowing she'll be swept into the arms of Maddox, their most dangerous member -- a man trapped in a hell of his own.

Neither can resist the instant hunger than calms their torments . . . and ignites an irresistible passion. But every heated touch and burning kiss will edge them closer to destruction -- and a soul-shattering test of love . . .
My Thoughts: This was exactly the type of book I was looking for!  EXACTLY!  There's a socially awkward woman with a supernatural gift and a passel of hot men who are a little on the feral side.  LOVE!

Now, Maddox could have been the type of guy that you had no sympathy for.  I mean, he's being punished for killing someone and unleashing the Demon Lords of the Underworld.  However, how can you not feel for a guy who's been punished for thousands of years in a terribly horrific manner?  There's punishment and then there's Geez, enough already, the guy's been punished!

Maddox's instant, bone deep attraction to Ashlyn was sweet and still somehow feral and edgy.  Ashlyn herself is innocent and seems to be a perfect foil for Maddox's violence.  I loved how she kept finding a way to be with him even when she was locked up or told to stay away.  There's something about that sort of dedication that calls to me.

I loved the other Lords.  I'm terribly excited that I'm going to get to read all their stories one after another.

5 comments:

  1. Loved this book too. How about that shower scene!?! *fans self* I need to get with the program and start reading the other books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! While not the best in the series, I thought this book did a good job of establishing what turns into a pretty elaborate world. Personally, I think book two was my favorite. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this series. I agree with Jen, that shower scene was hot! Read read read the next books like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one and while I didn't love it...I did end up enjoying it. I've been meaning to continue on with this series since then. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen D: Yes! Read the otehr books! Also, YES! SHOWER SCENE!

    fairypenguin: That's it exactly. The world building is pretty fantastic!

    Tyraa: I'm on it!

    samanthat.1020: I'm read the next 2 books in the series and they are ridiculously fun. Go, read!

    ReplyDelete