Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Double Take Review: My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

Synopsis (Goodreads):
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
Original Review: 12/30/10
My Thoughts: At this point I've read all the Soul Screamers books (and all but one of the novellas) that are currently out, so going back and starting again from the beginning is kinda cool. It gives me a chance to see how the bits and pieces that Rachel Vincent sprinkled throughout come to fruition later on. Which is awesome!

I had honestly forgotten how twitchy Kaylee is around Nash when they first come together. She's sure he's only being nice to her to earn another notch on his bedpost. He's captivated by her from the first time he hears her voice. His ability to soothe her when her wailing fits come upon her seems to be one of the big draws for Kaylee. That and the fact that he's able to give her answers to questions she didn't even know she needed to be asking. Now, I liked Nash in this book, despite the fact that he's portrayed as a bit of a man-whore. He genuinely seems to have Kaylee's best interests at heart. That's just sweet. Plus, their kisses are smoking!

A lot of characters who have fair sized roles in later books are introduced here, as well as the groundwork for the Netherworld and the bargains some people are willing to make with hellions. We also get to see that the Reaper world has a pretty rigid structure and hierarchy. Very cool. Not to mention that hierarchy comes into play in later books. I love watching things come together!

Engaging and well worth the re-read, I'm looking forward to jumping into the rest of the series again.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other reviews in this series
Prequel: My Soul To Lose
Prequel: Reaper
Book 1: My Soul To Take
Book 2: My Soul To Save
Book 3: My Soul To Keep
Book 4: My Soul To Steal
Book 5: If I Die

More books by Rachel Vincent

No comments:

Post a Comment