Hail Glorious Reader:My Thoughts: Man, I had forgotten how this book is like a punch to the gut. Valerius had a pretty craptastic life before he died and, honestly, an even worse one once he became a Dark-Hunter. Seriously, to be hated by EVERYONE just because he was born a Roman? That sucks. Hard. Not in a sexy way.
I was born the noble son of a legendary Roman senator. I walked through the ancient world as a general, admired and supreme until a brutal betrayal caused me to bargain my soul. Now I'm an immortal Dark-Hunter, bound to protect mankind from the evil scourge that haunts it. Over the centuries, I've seen many frightening things: plagues, pestilence, disco music...
And now Tabitha Devereaux. A human, she has trained herself to fight vampires every bit as capably as any Dark-Hunter. Idiosyncratic and off-beat, she is my personal bane-and yet she beguiles me. There are only two small problems. She happens to be the twin of my mortal enemy's wife. More than that, Tabitha and her sister are being stalked by a power that will not rest until everyone she holds dear is dead.
Unlike my Dark-Hunter brethren, I rely on no one but myself. They spurned me and I turned my back on them. But the only way to save Tabitha and her family is to find some way to bridge a two thousand-year-old feud.
They say opposites attract, but can they stay together when even the Fates conspire to keep them apart? Then again, the Fates have never dealt with the likes of Tabitha Devereaux before. They're going to be in for quite a fight...
Yeah. So. Valerius. He was the guy I loved to hate when he was initially introduced. The fact that Sherrilyn Kenyon made me care about his story and about him makes me giddy. Under his stone cold facade, he's a gentleman and a seething mass of emotions that he forces down so that nobody knows how much their careless words hurt him. Poor Val. I just want to pet him. On the outside, Tabitha is his polar opposite. They shouldn't work. Yet YET, she takes the time to get to know him and sees the things that he's hiding away. She might be a little crazy, but her heart's in the right place.
If I can look past the Valerius sad, sad times, this book drops a whole lot of hints about Acheron and how whacked out his story is going to be. Then there's the Katra thing. Oh, Kat. You'll get your wish, bebe. Just you wait. And Nick! NICK! *weeps quietly in a corner* You know, a lot of things happen here. A LOT. The sheer number of plot threads for later books that are continuing to advance is stunning. SO MUCH STUFF, GUYS! SO MUCH!
I consider this a win in the reread column. Heartbreaking, sexy, and answers that lead to more questions. LOVE IT!
Books in the Dark-Hunter Universe
1. Fantasy Lover
2. Night Pleasures
3. Night Embrace
4. Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter #4, Were-Hunter #1)
5. Kiss of the Night
6. Night Play (Dark-Hunter #6, Were-Hunter #2)
7. Seize the Night - Paperback | Kindle
8. Sins of the Night
9. Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter #9, Were-Hunter #3)
10. Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter #10, Were-Hunter #4)
11. The Dream-Hunter (Dark-Hunter #11, Dream-Hunter #1)
12. Devil May Cry
13. Upon the Midnight Clear (Dark-Hunter #13, Dream-Hunter #2)
14. Dream Chaser (Dark-Hunter #14, Dream-Hunter #3)
16. One Silent Night
17. Dream Warrior (Dark-Hunter #17, Dream-Hunter #4)
18. Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter #18, Were-Hunter #5, Hellchaser #3)
19. No Mercy (Dark-Hunter #19, Were-Hunter #6)
20. Retribution (Dark-Hunter #20, Were-Hunter #7)
21. The Guardian (Dark-Hunter #21, Dream-Hunter #5, Were-Hunter #8, Hellchaser #4)
22. Time-Untime (Dark-Hunter #22, Hellchaser #5)
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |