Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review: Passion (Fallen #3) by Lauren Kate

Synopsis (Goodreads):
"Every single lifetime, I'll choose you. Just as you have chosen me. Forever."

Luce would die for Daniel. And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.
My Thoughts:  I liked this book.  A lot.  In fact, I picked it up on release day because Lauren Kate had a signing in my area and I ended up reading all but the last chapter before I had her sign it.  It killed me to have to stop that close to the end, but I was the last person in line and I figured she was ready to close things up and, heck, I'm just a nice person.  Really, though, I couldn't put the book down.  I was reading in a bar, for Pete's sake, and my butt fell asleep and despite that extreme discomfort I kept reading.

One thing I found interesting was the way the story was told.  At the end of Torment (which still stands as one of my favorite covers of all time, btw), Luce stepped into an announcer, leaving her friends behind as she attempts to unravel the truth behind how Daniel feels about her and how their relationship has evolved through the ages.  Luce's journey takes her backwards in time, stopping at key points in their history so she can learn the specifics behind the curse.  This could have been confusing but it really, really worked.  Luce finally began to see the toll the curse took on Daniel as he was forced to wacth her die over and over again.   The realization that he loved her through every incarnation without fail, even though she had to meet and fall in love with him anew, touched her.

Beyond the backward timeline where Luce comes into contact with several version of both herself and Daniel, the Daniel from her time is desperately following behind her trying to catch up.  For most of the book, the two present incarnations aren't together and yet... it worked.  I think its brilliant that Lauren Kate managed to make their love even more epic when they aren't even together.

Fallen deepened the characters exponentially, gave us a glimpse into the choices that turned an Angel to the dark and set up an endgame to end all endgames.  Bravo, Lauren Kate, for making me fall in love with your characters all over again.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Fallen
1. Fallen
2. Torment
3. Passion

More books by Lauren Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment