Monday, May 12, 2014

The Kraken King Part I: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster by Meljean Brook [Review]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZ1E530/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00HZ1E530&linkCode=as2&tag=ufya-paranormalreviews-20
The Kraken King Part I: The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster (Iron Seas #4.1) by Meljean Brook
Format: ebook
Source: provided by Penguin through NetGalley
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: March 25, 2014

Iron Seas
1. The Iron Duke
2. Heart of Steel
3. Riveted
4.1. The Kraken King and the Scribbling Spinster - Kindle
4.2. The Kraken King and the Abominable Worm
4.3. The Kraken King and the Fox's Den
4.4. The Kraken King and the Inevitable Abduction
4.5. The Kraken King and the Iron Heart
4.6. The Kraken King and the Crumbling Walls
4.7. The Kraken King and the Empress's Eyes
4.8. The Kraken King and the Greatest Adventure

Meljean Brook
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
A former smuggler and thief, Ariq—better known as the Kraken King—doesn’t know what to make of the clever, mysterious woman he rescues from an airship besieged by marauders. Unsure if she’s a spy or a pawn in someone else’s game, Ariq isn’t about to let her out of his sight until he finds out…

After escaping her fourth kidnapping attempt in a year, Zenobia Fox has learned to vigilantly guard her identity. While her brother Archimedes is notorious for his exploits, Zenobia has had no adventures to call her own—besides the stories she writes. But when she jumps at the chance to escape to the wilds of Australia and acquire research for her next story, Zenobia quickly discovers that the voyage will be far more adventurous than any fiction she could put to paper…
Thoughts on The Kraken King Part I: The most gut wrenching thing about this book is that I don't have part 2 in my hands right now. That sound you hear? That would be the quiet sound of my despair. Yep, rocking and crying in the corner. That's me. Because it's really, really, REALLY hard to tear myself away from a Meljean Brook book with KRAKENS and AIRSHIPS and PLANS OF AN UNKNOWN NATURE.

But I must.

So. Zenobia. She just wants to have a little adventure. You know, like the ones she writes about in her books. The ones her brother has. Methinks Zenobia is going to have all the adventure she can handle with this trip. Especially with the way Ariq is eyeballing her. I like that guy. He shoots straight and doesn't pull his punches.

Now, I can't say I'm terribly keen on Zenobia's traveling companion, Helene. Or, at least I wasn't. She sort of grew on me when she had her heart to heart with Z about the trouble she's in. Or maybe it was Zenobia's compassion for her friend that got me. I don't know. I do know that I can't imagine this trip is going to go smoothly with someone like her around. She seems like one of those that speaks without thinking and never realizes how careless words can cut.

I'm so smitten with the Iron Seas world it's crazy. In fact, I'm eying all the novellas and making frightening cackling noises as I realize I have a few to catch up on. Time to go roll around in this dangerous, steampunk world.

No comments:

Post a Comment