Monday, September 20, 2021

Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors by Annette Marie and Rob Jacobsen [Review]

Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors by Annette Marie and Rob Jacobsen
Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors (The Guild Codex: Warped #1) by Annette Marie and Rob Jacobsen
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: August 9, 2020

The Guild Codex: Warped
1. Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors - Paperback | Kindle
2. Hellbound Guilds & Other Misdirections
3. Rogue Ghosts & Other Miscreants
3.5. More Than a Little Warped
4. Stolen Sorcery & Other Misadventures
5. Mage Assassins & Other Misfits

Related Series:
(Find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
The Guild Codex: Spellbound
1. Three Mages and a Margarita

The Guild Codex: Demonized
1. Taming Demons for Beginners

Annette Marie
Website | Amazon |

Rob Jacobsen
| WebsiteAmazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
My name is Kit Morris, and welcome to my warped life.

Picture the scene: Me, an average guy with psychic powers—not that my abilities are in any way average—just trying to scrape by in a harsh world. So maybe I've conned a few people, but did I really deserve to be thrown in MPD jail alongside magic-wielding serial killers?

According to Agent Lienna Shen, one-hundred-percent yes.

But her hardass attitude and “Arcana prodigy” status aren’t enough to bring down my former best friend, who slipped through the MPD’s fingers and is days away from unleashing untold horrors upon the city. Or he’s going to steal something. I don’t really know.

Whatever he’s up to, that’s why I’m sitting in an interrogation room with Lienna. And that’s why I just offered myself as her temporary new partner for the purposes of thwarting my ex-accomplice.

And that’s how I’m going to escape. I might even help with the case before I cut and run.
Thoughts on Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors: I'm pretty much in love with the Guild Codex world and Kit Morris...well, I like the dude. He might skate on the wrong side of the law at times, but he has his reasons for being loyal to the people who took him in and he's not inherently a bad guy. He just has a, uhh, moderately loose moral code. Which, I can only assume, Lienna will either embrace with gusto (eventually) or innocently skew toward her own code. (If I'm being honest, I kinda feel like they're going to meet somewhere in between. Like I said, Kit isn't a bad person underneath and Lienna could use a little recklessness in her life.)

(Hold up. That makes it sound like Lienna is rigid and uncompromising or something. She's not. She's just very focused on being good at what she does. And she is good. Very good. FOR REASONS THAT HAVE NOT YET BEEN REVEALED. TBH, she might just be one of those driven people who do it for the thrill of it, not because she has a deep, complicated history she's trying to atone for. Hopefully that's something we'll find out at a later date.)

So. Kit. He's cocky and a little brash and he's sort of new to this fabulous mythic life. Meaning, he does NOT know everything he needs to know about what he can do and what those around him can do. Frankly, the guild he was in used him for his abilities while keeping him in the dark about a lot of things, which is not cool. Not cool at all.

Lienna is much better educated in the ways of mythics. As she should be, all things considered. She's smart and sassy and incredibly talented and she mostly follows the rules. Mostly. She and Kit make a good team, methinks.

Friends, betrayal, danger, a ability we haven't seen before, and a handful of complications that has thrown Kit into a weird place. I'm liking this world more and more the deeper I get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment