Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Taming Demons for Beginners by Annette Marie [Review]

Taming Demons for Beginners by Annette Marie
Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1) by Annette Marie
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: July 5, 2020

The Guild Codex: Demonized
1. Taming Demons for Beginners - Paperback | Kindle
2. Slaying Monsters for the Feeble
3. Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped
4. Delivering Evil for Experts

Related Series:
(Find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
The Guild Codex: Spellbound
1. Three Mages and a Margarita

The Guild Codex: Warped
1. Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors

Annette Marie
| WebsiteFacebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Rule one: Don't look at the demon.

When I arrived at my uncle's house, I expected my relatives to be like me—outcast sorcerers who don't practice magic. I was right about the sorcery, but wrong about everything else.

Rule two: Don't listen to the demon.

My uncle chose a far deadlier power. He calls creatures of darkness into our world, binds them into service contracts, and sells them to the highest bidder. And I'm supposed to act like I don't know how illegal and dangerous it is.

Rule three: Don't talk to the demon.

All I had to do was keep my nose out of it. Pretend I didn't find the summoning circle in the basement. Pretend I didn't notice the shadowy being trapped inside it. Pretend I didn't break the rules.

But I did, and now it's too late.
Thoughts on Taming Demons for Beginners: I picked up this book mainly because the title sounded fun and the promise of cookies being a lure for the demon tickled my fancy. I DID NOT EXPECT TO BECOME SMITTEN WITH ROBIN AND ZYLAS LIKE I DID. I broke one of my cardinal rules of series reading (always review the first book before starting on the next) and I regret NOTHING. (I also dove into the Spellbound crew immediately upon finishing all the books currently out in this series, so I not only broke my reviewing rule, I balled it up, set it on fire, and laughed maniacally the entire time. GLORIOUS!)

Anywho. Robin. She's grieving and kinda timid when we first meet her (understandable, considering why she's living with her uncle and his family in the first place). Yet, she manages to break all her uncle's rules and make nice with the demon no one else can get to say a single word. So maybe she's not quite as timid as she seems. (It's true! There's a lot more to Robin than even she knows.) Sure, the rule breaking almost gets her killed and ends up with her having an illegal contract with a demon, but things happen for a reason, right?

As for Zylas...I like him. He's got a few sharp edges and there's a lot more to him than he lets anybody see (YET!), but he's not a terrible being and he's not slaughtering innocents all willy-nilly, so there's that. (Honestly, for all the bad rap demons get, it was the non-demon dudes who did the really monstrous stuff. Jerks.)

THINGS ARE HAPPENING AND I CAN'T EVEN SAY I'M DYING TO SEE WHAT'S NEXT BECAUSE I ALREADY HOPPED ON THAT BOAT AND SAILED INTO THE SUNSET WITH IT. Basically, I really like this book. GOOD STUFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment