Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Heartwood by J.H. Croix [Review]

Heartwood (Speakeasy) by J.H. Croix
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: February 20, 2023

Speakeasy
Touchstone
Heartwood - Paperback | Kindle
Homecoming
Sideways
Wildflower
Firefly
Starlight
Stargazer
Safeguard

Related Series:
(find all the books in the series on the 1st book review)
The Busy Bean
1. Sweetheart

In Vino Veritas
1. Wildfire

Moo U
1. Boyfriend

True North
1. Bittersweet

Vino and Veritas
1. Roommate

J.H. Croix
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
She needs a fresh start. He wants a second chance…

My new job as a chef in a small town was supposed to be my ticket to peace and quiet. I didn’t expect to run into the former hockey star who gave me the hottest nights of my life. And, oops, he’s sort-of my new boss. So much for keeping my past where it belongs.

Ty still thinks I’m the fun party girl. He has no idea how much things have changed. One thing that hasn’t changed: the spark between us. It’s hotter than the blowtorch I use on my crème brûlée.

I’m already keeping secrets, so what’s one more? Our tryst is forbidden, it’s fun, and it gets complicated as fast as you can say “check, please.” I didn’t expect to have a future with Ty. And I definitely didn’t expect to have a baby with him.

Some falls are harder than others. But it depends on who’s there to catch you...
Thoughts on Heartwood: Our man Ty, who keeps Speakeasy running smoothly, is up and his special someone is the one who got away. Sort of. I mean, Ty and Belle had a moment when they were in college and he's never forgotten her, but it wasn't serious-serious at the time. Now, though? IT'S ON!

That said, Belle isn't the same fast-trackin' party girl she was in college. Mostly because her high-octane energy came with a price and she's working her way through figuring out this new normal for her. To be honest, the lady is tough on herself. Very tough. She sees the crash she experienced as a failure on her part and she's hesitant about giving herself room to have fun and live again. On the other hand, her need to be busy and keep moving works perfectly in her new role at Speakeasy and she's settling into that nicely. It's more of a mental recalibration to realize this is something that makes her happy and she is allowed to change and grow into this new her.

On Ty's end, he's pretty okay with crossing paths with Belle again. He likes her for her and he's willing to roll with the changes she's gone through since they knew each other before.

Awkward family dynamics (on Ty's end), supportive family dynamics (on Belle's end), steamy kisses, a bench that helps them connect, and two people figuring things out as best they can. *thumbs up*

No comments:

Post a Comment