Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4) by Jeaniene Frost

Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress #4) by Jeaniene Frost
Format: paperback
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: June 20, 2011

Night Huntress
0.5. Reckoning
1. Halfway to the Grave
1.5. Happily Never After
2. One Foot in the Grave
3. At Grave's End
3.5. Devil to Pay
4. Destined for an Early Grave - Paperback | Kindle
4.5. One for the Money
5. This Side of the Grave
6. One Grave at a Time
6.5. Home for the Holidays
7. Up from the Grave
8. A Grave Girls' Getaway
9. The Other Half of the Grave
10. Both Feet in the Grave

Jeaniene Frost
| WebsiteAmazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's having visions of a vampire named Gregor who's more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn't know about.

Gregor believes Cat is his and he won't stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor's hold over her. She'll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she's ever faced . . . even if getting that power will result in an early grave.
My Thoughts:  Holy Toledo!  Just when things look like things are starting to calm down for Cat and Bones the world goes into freefall and they're both fighting for their lives.  I just love those two crazy kids.  I love how they physically fight together - my GAWD! Their no holds barred brawl in Bones' house in New Orleans left me giggling maniacally.  I love how they love one another.  I love that Cat takes a perverse sort of pride in the number of beds they've broken when they are loving one another.  I love that Bones is so fiercely dedicated to her.

I'm going to be honest here, this was a hard book for me to read.  I mean, I read it quickly (umm, I could barely put it down, actually) but it was wrenching.  It was hard to see Cat and Bones at odds with one another.  It was hard thinking that as much as they love each other they might screw things up so epically that they might not get past it.  For me, the core of these books is their relationship.  Without the two of them standing side by side it's like we're looking at half a person.  CAT AND BONES SHOULD ALWAYS BE TOGETHER!  Always.  Always.  *curls into a whimpering ball*

Things I loved in this book that did not involve Cat and/or Bones breaking a headboard and/or bed:
  • We finally got to see the reason why Cat has always been a little bitchy toward Mencheres.  
  • VLAD!  I love Vlad.  He's just... neat.  
  • Cat developing some cool new abilities.
  • Bones confessing that he knows all of Cat's fears and he loves her despite them.
  • As hard as it was to see Cat and Bones not together through parts of this book, it finally made Cat stand up and take a step that she had been hesitating to take.  I like that she's maturing into herself.  She's choosing to not remain stagnant.  She's choosing to meet Bones as an equal.
Yes, I liked the book.  I liked the book a lot.  This might be my newest favorite in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment