Saturday, February 25, 2012

Double Take Review: My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2) by Rachel Vincent

Synopsis (Goodreads):
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….
Original review: 01/02/11
My Thoughts: I have a secret. I'm a little bit in love with going back a year after my initial read and taking another crack at these books. Knowing what's coming for Kaylee and crew down the road is giving me a different perspective on what I'm seeing this time around. I want to shake Nash and I want to give Tod great big cuddles. I still pretty much loathe Sophie, so nothing's changed there. The biggest difference I can see is that I don't trust Nash this time around. I'm almost afraid to read book 3 now because I don't like what he does to himself and to Kaylee.

There's part of me that respects Kaylee for giving her all to try to help Addison regain her soul. And then there's a big part of me that can't believe she put both herself and Nash in danger to help a girl who had willingly sold herself for fame and fortune. As I was reading, I kept thinking that I didn't care that Addy had been duped and tricked and any number of other things... the bottom line was that she sold her soul. Her problems were of her own making. Why was Kaylee risking her own life to help a girl who had been so quick to sign on the dotted line?

Still, Kaylee did show that she had spine and she was willing to step into the line of fire. This is something we see time and time again from her in later books, so it rang true to her character. I'm just not sure I would have done the same in her position.

I still love the worldbuilding, the mythology, the cast of characters that Rachel Vincent has assembled. And Tod is officially my favorite Reaper.

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Other books in this series
Prequel: My Soul To Lose
Prequel: Reaper
Book 1: My Soul To Take
             Double Take Review
Book 2: My Soul To Save
Book 3: My Soul To Keep
Book 4: My Soul To Steal
Book 5: If I Die

More books by Rachel Vincent

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, you do! *cough*Spring break*cough*

      Delete
    2. I also need to starT this series.

      Though I'm starting to get in trouble with certain people about buying so many books. *frowns*

      Delete
    3. Whhhhaaaaa? Books are gateways to other worlds. When you think of it, you're stopping wormholes from forming and probably SAVING THE WORLD every time you buy a book.

      Really, you're like a superhero.

      Delete
    4. Well, it really went, "Why are you buying more books when you already have so many you haven't read?"

      And I was all, "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!"

      Delete
    5. Next time this topic comes up simply say "I'm saving the world, one book at a time." Then nod wisely and move on to the next topic.

      Delete
    6. *looks around innocently* I may or may not have bought the Soul Screamers volume 1 (prequel, book 1 and book 2) today while at Target. Maybe. I was there for other things.

      Delete
  2. I loathe Sophie as well. I really hope she gets better later on in the series (I've only read up to book #3). I understand your thoughts on Kaylee...she always puts herself on the line no matter what, lol.

    ReplyDelete