Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Secrets of the Sword I by Lindsay Buroker [Review]

Secrets of the Sword I (Death Before Dragons #7) by Lindsay Buroker
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: April 26, 2021

Death Before Dragons
0.5. Mist and Magic
1. Sinister Magic
2. Battle Bond
3. Tangled Truths
4. Elven Doom
4.5. The Forbidden Ground
5. False Security
6. Storm Forged
6.5. The Box
7. Secrets of the Sword I - Paperback | Kindle
8. Secrets of the Sword II
9. Secrets of the Sword III

Lindsay Buroker
Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
After helping my steady dragon Zav with his family problems, I thought life would get back to normal. As normal as it can be when you’re a hit woman responsible for hunting down bad guys.

That was before a strange artifact showed up in a bog and turned my ancient dwarven sword into a magical beacon. Now my enemies can sense it from hundreds of miles away. More than that, every club-toting, over-muscled orc, ogre, and troll who would like a magic sword can sense it.

Usually, fighting off opportunists wouldn’t be a problem (they don’t call me Ruin Bringer without reason), but even I can only handle so many attacks at a time. And Zav isn’t as much help as you’d think, since he’s busy on a quest for a ring.

No, it’s not a Lord of the Rings kind of quest. My boss put it in Zav's head that since we’re mated in the dragon way, we should also be married in the human way. Now, he’s off to find the perfect engagement ring. Given his taste in human footwear, I may be in trouble for more reasons than my marked sword.

Not only is there no chance of my life getting back to normal any time soon, but if I can’t figure out how to fix my sword, I’ll be dead long before I can get married.
Thoughts on Secrets of the Sword I: We were given A LOT of answers at the end of book 6 to the various questions that popped up along the way, but that doesn't mean Val and Zav had quietly settled into domestic bliss. I mean, Zav's still a dragon and he's still hunting down criminals on Earth. And Val's still Val. Which means she comes into situations with guns blazing at times.

In other words, Val's still doing her job and hunting down magical peeps and artifacts and (as you might expect) she gets herself into something of a pickle. A magical pickle, if you will. One that has all the local (and not-as-local) magical toughs looking to take her sword from her. Which does NOT sit well with Zav. Mostly because he's of the firm belief that if someone tries to take something from his mate, they're basically taking it from him.

A few skirmishes, a run-in with the elves, a different run-in with a particular elf, an anatomy lesson on the fae world, and draconic marriage proposals. Because Zav is all about the romance. Well, draconic romance. Which is...fun to watch.

Bottom line: Still loving this series and the weird, misfit crew Val has gathered around her. I also have a soft spot for the arrogant dragon who believes incinerating people who irritate him is a valid lifestyle choice. *thumbs up*

No comments:

Post a Comment