Friday, May 12, 2023

Mail Order Mom by Marina Simcoe [Review]

Mail Order Mom (My Holiday Tails #5) by Marina Simcoe
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: May 13, 2022

My Holiday Tails
1. Married to Krampus
2. My Tiny Giant
3. My Birthday Getaway
4. New Year, New Planet
5. Mail Order Mom - Paperback | Kindle
6. My Pumpkin
7. What Makes an Alien a Dad?

Marina Simcoe
Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
In their marriage of convenience, I become the major inconvenience.

Captain Xavran Rax from the planet Aldrai doesn’t need a lover, a friend, or even a companion. He’s been keeping a secret about his wife’s death for over a decade, and he’s certainly not interested in replacing her anytime soon.
The only reason he decides to bring a woman into his household is because he believes it would benefit his four children, especially his two daughters.

Mara Takolsky doesn’t find Aldraians even remotely attractive. Neither does she care about children of any species.
She accepts the proposal of Captain Rax only because her dead fiancé owed a lot of money to the criminals who now wish to collect it from her, either in money or blood. Leaving Earth is her only chance to stay alive.

You may ask how do I fit into captain and Mara’s ever so practical marriage of convenience? The answer is I don’t. I’m Susanna, Mara’s twin sister. I have a man who betrayed me, too, and I tag along to Aldrai to escape the mafia who threaten to kill both Mara and me.

When my sister and I arrive on Aldrai, however, things don’t go as planned…
Thoughts on Mail Order Mom: Family, AMIRITE?!?! Susanna and Mara are in a tough situation back on Earth. The way their dealing with it, however, is WORLDS apart. Susanna's attempting to scrape together a life for herself (no matter how NOT fun it is) while Mara is looking for a free ride. When things go from bad to worse, they end up taking a stint on Aldrai to let things cool down. (That's super simplified. There's more going on there.)

Anywho. Mara isn't AT ALL thrilled to be playing wife to a "farmer" (even if it could save her life) while Susanna has decided to make the best of things. She might not have any practical knowledge about being a nanny, but she throws herself into the job anyway. And she does it well.

As for Xavran, he's a little unsettled to have such an immediate reaction to his new wife's sister. And the more he's around Susanna, the more he likes her. The whole wife's sister thing could have been kind of yucky, but...it worked. Mara has no interest in Xavran or his children AT ALL (something she makes very clear again and again) and she actively pushes Susanna toward Xavran. As it turns out, with family like Mara, Susanna doesn't need enemies. (I'm exaggerating a little. Mara isn't pure unbridled evil or anything. She's just gross. And not someone anyone should want around.)

A ready-made family, a few secrets, a little danger, and an alien who knows how to show a lady a good time. *thumbs up all around*

No comments:

Post a Comment