Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review: Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Format: paperback
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: February 18, 2011

Night Huntress
0.5. Reckoning
1. Halfway to the Grave - Paperback | Kindle
1.5. Happily Never After
2. One Foot in the Grave
3. At Grave's End
3.5. Devil to Pay
4. Destined for an Early Grave
4.5. One for the Money
5. This Side of the Grave
6. One Grave at a Time
6.5. Home for the Holidays
7. Up from the Grave
8. A Grave Girls' Getaway
9. The Other Half of the Grave
10. Both Feet in the Grave

Jeaniene Frost
| WebsiteAmazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father--the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner--are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her new found status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.
My Thoughts: For the love of small, furry critters, this book was fabulous!  It was literally everything I wanted in a book and MORE.  It kicked me in the throat and made me gasp for breath.  It made me teary-eyed (please note: no actual tears fell, it was just the threat of tears) at the swoon-worthy declarations of love.  It had a kick-ass heroine who only got better as the story moved along.  It had some bad guys who were despicable.  IT WAS AWESOME!

*deep breath*  Okay.  I'm going to attempt this without fangirl flailing and hyperventilating.  The adoration I currently feel for this book is akin to what a teenage girl must feel when she hears the name Bieber.  Which I don't get, fyi.  The hair alone is a huge turn-off.  But that's neither here nor there.  What I'm trying to say is that I have some serious fangirl love so this review is going to be harder to write than you'd think.  You know, since I'm trying to write it without coming off like a crazed stalker who wants to trap Cat and Bones in her closet and watch them beat the crap out of each other.

Once again, not the point.

I honestly can't think of a single plot point that didn't work for me.  I adored Cat.  Even when she was in her troglodyte-fashion phase and was trying unsuccessfully to flirt.  Even when she was fighting every instinct she had that said that falling into bed with Bones would be perfect.  I just loved her.  I loved her with Bones.  I loved every single one of their interactions.  I loved how Bones pushed her and pushed her to be a better fighter and to come to terms with her dual heritage.  I loved how he accepted her, flaws and all.  Gosh, I just loved Bones.

I totally get why Cat and Bones made it onto a lot of readers lists of top couples.  I GET IT!  They spark and flirt and have chemistry.  I GET IT!  Totally.  Absolutely.

The one thing I'm beyond thrilled about is that I have the next three books in the series waiting for me to devour them.  I'm honestly in love with so much about this world that I don't think I could have stood waiting.

Loved it, loved it, loved it.
And that's all I'm going to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment