Dear Reader,My Thoughts: I'm doing a full-on series re-read here. Annnnnd... I'm already teary after just this book. Honestly, no one does tortured heroes quite like Sherrilyn Kenyon. She makes me ache for her heroes. ACHE. I want to hug them and give them cookies and tell them that everything will work out in the end because, MY GLOB, they get put through SO MUCH.
Being trapped in a bedroom with a woman is a grand thing. Being trapped in hundreds of bedrooms over two thousand years isn't. And being cursed into a book as a love-slave for eternity can ruin even a Spartan warrior's day.
As a love-slave, I know everything about women. How to touch them, how to savor them, and most of all, how to pleasure them. But when I was summoned to fulfill Grace Alexander's sexual fantasies, I found the first woman in history who saw me as a man with a tormented past. She alone bothered to take me out of the bedroom and onto the world. She taught me to love again.
But I was not born to love. I was cursed to walk eternity alone. As a general, I had long ago accepted my sentence. Yet now I have found Grace--the one thing my wounded heart cannot survive without. Sure, love can heal all wounds, but can it break a two-thousand-year-old curse?
Julian of Macedon
This book has always interested me because a lot of little things that lay the groundwork for the Dark-Hunter series are present, but this isn't technically a D-H book. And by that, I mean no Dark-Hunters are present in the flesh. Just some random gods. And one possible sighting of a D-H hero. Oh, and a future D-H mate or two. The thing is, it works. It works so well.
Julian's story is heartbreaking in the extreme. His mother's pride is something that we'll see again and again in the various gods (especially Artemis - grrrrr) and her inability to bend a little and meet him halfway causes so much of his pain. Grace's willingness to treat him like a person is his first real taste of unconditional acceptance. Their relationship is sexy and rough and OMG! Juuuuulllian!
Anyway. Definitely a great start to the D-H series. Poisonous rivalry, dastardly deeds, and a lot of hot touching... the cornerstone of these books!
Books in the Dark-Hunter Universe
1. Fantasy Lover - Paperback | Kindle
2. Night Pleasures
3. Night Embrace
4. Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter #4, Were-Hunter #1)
5. Kiss of the Night
6. Night Play (Dark-Hunter #6, Were-Hunter #2)
7. Seize the Night
8. Sins of the Night
9. Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter #9, Were-Hunter #3)
10. Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter #10, Were-Hunter #4)
11. The Dream-Hunter (Dark-Hunter #11, Dream-Hunter #1)
12. Devil May Cry
13. Upon the Midnight Clear (Dark-Hunter #13, Dream-Hunter #2)
14. Dream Chaser (Dark-Hunter #14, Dream-Hunter #3)
16. One Silent Night
17. Dream Warrior (Dark-Hunter #17, Dream-Hunter #4)
18. Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter #18, Were-Hunter #5, Hellchaser #3)
19. No Mercy (Dark-Hunter #19, Were-Hunter #6)
20. Retribution (Dark-Hunter #20, Were-Hunter #7)
21. The Guardian (Dark-Hunter #21, Dream-Hunter #5, Were-Hunter #8, Hellchaser #4)
22. Time-Untime (Dark-Hunter #22, Hellchaser #5)
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |