Friday, May 28, 2021

Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes by Mandy M. Roth [Review]

Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes by Mandy M. Roth
Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes (Grimm Cove #2) by Mandy M. Roth
Format: ebook
Source: borrowed through Kindle Unlimited
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: May 10, 2020

Grimm Cove
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft
2. Hexing with a Chance of TornadoesPaperback | Kindle
3. Spellcasting with a Chance of Spirits
4. Starry with a Chance of Nightshade
5. Thunder with a Chance of Lovestruck
6. Wind with a Chance of Wolfsbane

Mandy M. Roth
| Website |Amazon|

Synopsis (Goodreads):
I've been told I'm a force to be reckoned with. That I blow onto the scene like a tornado.

At age forty I've stopped caring if that's a compliment or a dig. Now I just wear it like a badge of honor. So when life threw me a curveball and I ended up going from a cushy job in New York City to the tiny Southern town of Grimm Cove I thought I was ready for anything.

Ha! Not quite.

You see, Grimm Cove is teeming with supernaturals. Since I've known they exist all of like a hot minute, I'm still in a state of total shock. When I learn that I come from a long line of witches and demon slayers, the stakes (pun intended) get even higher and sharper. These monsters aren't make-believe. They're out for blood. I'm trying to decide if having the head of the local wolf-shifter pack nipping at my heels is an asset in this fight, or if he's one more person I need to watch my back around. Thank the estrogen goddesses I have my besties with me or I'm not sure I could survive being what most would label middle-aged, hunted by demons, and the heat that comes along with the South.
Thoughts on Hexing with a Chance of Tornadoes: I liked book 1 in this series, but I felt like this one felt a little short in comparison. I had it in my head that Dana's family name had been revealed in book 1, but everyone from Grimm Cove seemed surprised when she admitted to being a Van Helsing and...it confused me. I'll freely admit I might be wrong about the book 1 reveal, but I absolutely had it in my head her family connections had been established already and I was a little thrown when the GC crew were all shocked by her admission.

That said, I do like where the series is going overall. Grimm Cove is a hotbed of supernatural weirdness and Dana's been thrown right in the middle of things. Honestly, she's not handling things all that well and that's perfectly understandable. But she has her friends and, well, more family than she knows what to do with suddenly and she's figuring things out.

As for Jeffrey, he's...kinda clueless about all those pesky emotions he's feeling. And also kind of picked on for an Alpha. Which I didn't love, but since he now has Dana to get all huffy when people do her man wrong, I guess it's okay.

I didn't feel like this book was quite as well developed as book 1, but I'm MIGHTY intrigued by the direction Marcy's story looks to be taking. MIGHTY intrigued. Let's see how it all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment