Monday, February 13, 2023

The Dragon Who Loved Me by G.A. Aiken [Review]

The Dragon Who Loved Me (Dragon Kin #5) by G.A. Aiken
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: February 8, 2022

Dragon Kin
0.1. Can't Get Enough
0.2. A Tale of Two Dragons
0.3. Chains & Flames
0.4. Dragon on Top
1. Dragon Actually
2. About a Dragon
3. What a Dragon Should Know
4. Last Dragon Standing
5. The Dragon Who Loved Me - Kindle
6. How to Drive a Dragon Crazy
7. Light My Fire
8. Feel the Burn
9. Bring the Heat

G.A. Aiken
| Website | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Come on, barbarian, light my fire…

I was raised for battle. And as the first daughter of a warrior family, I’ve earned my reputation the hard way. Yet now I fight alongside uncivilized male Northland dragons who think a female is only good for breeding and waiting back home in the cave. But it’s the foolish and foolhardy who would try to stop me, Rhona the Fearless, from doing what I do best—destroying the enemies of my kind.

So the smartest thing wily barbarian Vigholf the Abhorrent can do for me is stay out of my way as we risk all on a deadly mission in enemy territory. I don’t care if he’s fascinated by me, even though he is as attractive as he is resourceful. He’s having far too much fun putting me in difficult situations and testing my sense of duty to the limit. And I’m going to enjoy challenging his insufferable confidence, outwitting his schemes, and making him surrender in the wildest ways…
Thoughts on The Dragon Who Loved Me: So, hey, disclaimer. I actually read this book ages ago without having read the first 4 books in the series and WOW does reading this series in order make a difference. I mean, there's a lot going on behind the scenes. A huge cast of characters. A lot of family squabbles and political maneuvering. Coming in on this book? Not my best idea ever.

But this reread? HUGE DIFFERENCE. I mean, I'd met the Mad Queen and her grumpy dragon-love. I saw what the royals had to deal with when Annwyl was preggers with half-dragon babies. I knew why Vigholf and Ragnar were hanging out in the Southlands. So, yeah. I highly recommend reading this series in order. It adds a whole lot of depth to an already wickedly fun story.

But enough of that. Let's talk about Vigholf and Rhona. He's the Northlander who's been hung-up on Rhona practically since the first time he laid eyes on her. She's a member of the Cadwaladr clan who's happy enough being just a soldier without any aspirations about making it into the elite dragonwarriors. Which drives her mom around the bend, really.

A series of fortuitous events puts the two of them (plus a couple others) on a path to stop the war that's been slogging on for the last five years. Of course, the path involves the Mad Queen heading straight into enemy territory and being a little more bloodthirsty and mad than normal, but what's a dragon to do? I mean, Annwyl IS family and the Cadwaladrs are all about family, right?

Gods, monsters, allies, a whole lot of fighting, and a dragon couple who take their sweet time figuring out that they're meant to be together. Good stuff all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment